GoPro Volta is much more than a handheld grip. It is, essentially, a handle, remote, tripod, and external battery in one small, lightweight system. This grip features integrated camera buttons for easy single-hand control of your GoPro. Additionally, you can flip out the tripod legs to shoot some amazing time-lapses, group photos, or any other stable shot.
What’s more, Volta is a powered grip that combines with your camera’s battery to offer you over 4 hours of 5.3K/30 recording time! Want to control your GoPro remotely? Volta does that too. Detach the grip, and you’ll be able to control your camera from up to 98 feet away.
Overall, GoPro Volta is a super-versatile grip that comes with special abilities.
When you first look at it, Volta looks like just another grip. It holds the GoPro with the GoPro mount and features a stretchable security lanyard at the bottom. Furthermore, it comes with mounting fingers that fold out to attach to GoPro backpacks, straps, and more. The grip feels solid to hold. It’s built with high-quality plastic and metal.
Volta can also swivel open into a short tripod that’s great for stable, low-angle shots. For high-angle shots, you can keep Volta on any flat surface, like a table. Near the top of the grip, there’s the integrated remote. It is connected by a wire to the camera by default, but can also work wirelessly over Bluetooth. The remote lets you perform several functions, like switching camera modes, starting and stopping recording, checking battery life, and more.
On the right side, Volta features a USB-C input alongside an integrated USB-C cable. Using it, Volta can charge your GoPro or any other small accessory that you might have.
Here are the notable features of Volta:
- Extended Battery Power: This battery-powered grip combines with your camera’s battery to offer you over 4 hours of 5.3K/30 recording time.
- Single-Hand Control: Volta features integrated camera buttons for easy one-handed control.
- Built-in Tripod: You just need to flip out the Volta’s tripod legs for time-lapse, a group photo, or any other stable shot.
- Wireless Remote: Volta lets you detach the grip and control your camera from up to 98 feet away.
- Mod Compatible: Volta is capable of connecting with the GoPro Media Mod to customize and expand the possibilities.
- Mounting Fingers: The mounting fingers fold out to attach to GoPro backpacks, straps, and more.
- LED Lights: This grip also features LED lights that let you check battery life and camera mode at a glance.
Volta is weather-resistant and fit for use in both rain and snow. However, it’s not waterproof. It means that the Volta can’t be used with the GoPro underwater. Doing so will damage the grip as well as the attached GoPro camera.
Battery & Charging
To charge the GoPro Volta, you can use the included USB-C cable. With a fast power adapter, Volta can charge at up to 15W speed. When it comes to output, it is capped at 12W. A fast charger can give a 60 percent charge to your Volta in just about an hour. And, for a full charge, it will take 2.5 hours. Other than that, Volta can also charge the GoPro as well as any other USB-C device.
Talking about the battery life, GoPro says you should expect a combined battery life (GoPro + Volta) of over four hours when shooting 5.3K video at 30 frames per second. Volta features a built-in 4900 mAh battery.
specs of the Volta grip.
- Battery: Built-in 4900 mAh battery
- Battery Life: Over 4 hours of 5.3K/30FPS recording (combined with GoPro)
- Compatibility: GoPro HERO10 Black, GoPro HERO9 Black, all GoPro Mods + Accessories
- Power input/output type: USB-C
- Charge time: 2.5 hours with GoPro Supercharger
- Notable Features: Extended Battery Power, Single-Hand Control, Built-in Tripod, Wireless Remote
- Waterproof: No
review thanks to Go Pro