Turn your passion into a career with our applied outdoor qualification. Gain practical experience in job-based internships with Bay of Plenty tourism operators.
Work towards becoming an outdoor instructor learning from expert tutors in a hands-on environment. No day is the same whilst you build leadership skills and take on awesome challenges.
If it’s adventure you are after, you’ll take part in white-water rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and so much more.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you’ll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Outdoor and Adventure Education (Multi-skilled) (Level 4)
- Instructor or guide within community and private outdoor or adventure education/recreation/tourism providers, schools, leadership development programmes or self-employment.
- This qualification may provide a pathway to paid or volunteer roles as a trainee instructor, leader or guide within community and private outdoor or adventure education/recreation/tourism providers.
TOPICS YOU’LL COVER
- Personal Performance and Wellbeing
- Water Activity 1
- Land Activity 1
- Lead Outdoor Activities
- Land Activity 2
- Water Activity 2
- Kaitiakitanga and Sustainability
- Safety Management and Emergency Care
|Indicative Fees *||$6,560 per year/per topic for domestic students|
HELP WITH FEES
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You’ll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don’t have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
COURSE ENTRY INFORMATION
- NCEA Level 2 with passes in English or Te Reo Maori or educational achievement to at least to NCEA Level 2 or,
- Evidence of ability to complete academic or any other programme requirements or, New Zealand Certificate in Outdoor Experiences (Level 3)
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you’re on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
COURSE LOCATIONS AND INTAKE INFORMATION
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||7 Mar 2022|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)